Skip to main content

Cape Town











I ventured into my first town in the southern countries of Africa. Cape Town what a wonderful place. A little fact that reclaimed land (that being they pumped sand from the ocean to create land) makes up most of city section of Cape Town.



I travelled on my own here for a work project. The first night I went into the Waterfront which was pretty touristic but had some lovely restaurants. I was on my own, and so they put me in the best seat of the house over looking the waster, and one of the waiters would come and keep me company - how lovely.



We had one of the operations guys down from Gabon who had spent many a night in Cape Town being the remotes business center so to speak. He knew the owner of the Manor I stayed in, and from the second or third night, we started off listening to the owners stories, being a well travelled man born in Canada, raised in Brasil, working in Russia in the likes of oil industries, hedge funds and then giving up that life when he met his current wife. Quiet a cute couple that had two children and made a life for themselves in Cape Town.



Cape Town is beautiful, the Townships were different from any city I have been to. People tended to be more proud of the space that they lived in, and they were cleaner, but also I noticed there was running water and electricity which must have made the clean up easier. The government had been putting some investment into these areas. However as most developing cities the slums are always just after the airport and are the first and last thing you see.



I took some time out from work during the couple of weeks I was there, and did a hike from Cape Point to Cape of Good Hope. I was lucky that the whale season was still very active, and I saw a number of whales just off the coast, they are mesmerising. I also was intrigued by the Baboons. They are not very happy looking, and most of the time tend to be rumaging through someones garbage or kitchen for food.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moon Valley and Mendoza

Machu Picchu and Cusco I

Machu Picchu and Cusco II

There is a very good reason why Machu Picchu was awarded one of the new 7 wonders of the world. Many people I know have been to MP either via the Inca Trail or the train and walk up to the site. It is spectacular. We spent the night before in Auga Calientes a small village at the base of the mountain, and then made our way up early the following morning. You cannot spend less than a full day in MP, there is so much to see and do. This place feels like you are on top on the world, it is so steep, and when you have a narrow path to walk on and a sheer drop it is not for the faint hearted.  We both then spent the day rummaging around the ruins. We made out way from from Cusco to Lima via bus which is also not for the nervous person. It resembled a rollercoaster ride with loads of unmade sections. One of the drivers thought he was a in the formula one, we managed to distract ourselves by taking silly videos of pretending to pan pipe on little pipes Fanny had purchases to the mus