Skip to main content

Blank looks






It is quiet amazing how much of a language you pick up when you surround yourself with it. I´m understanding more each day, however my pronounciation is appauling and now with some confidence to speak outside classes I´m getting a lot of blank looks. In my mind I say it perfectly before it then comes out in gibberish when my mouth somehow rebels against some new sounds. I need a glass of water before asking for a phone card as card is tarjeta (or pronounced tarheeta...with h using back of throat slightly!)

I have noticed that more travellers want to be travellers in disguise of being a local. Important obviously yes to look either savvy or a local to distract attention of scams, but the downside is you then become a target of being asked for directions, which is a slight issue when left is "izquierda", yep I´m reaching for the water again.

The language class is going ok. I´ve actually found learning the local language a must, unless I´m going to become accustomed to pointing and playing sharades when buying food or tasting something different and unique without the concern of the dish becoming a lucky dip surprise, and the all important talking to locals.

Now I did say that I get a lot of blank looks but Argentinians are very patient and quiet encouraging. I´ve had an encounter of befriending a toothless barman who was encouraging of my practice of small talk and my local store worker has become a resource of a daily language spot of a new word in the mornings on way to school. I have noted that these people are in fact going to be my best teachers.

Oh something of useful information, the Spanish language basically has no words that start with W. Ones that are usually dervive from English words, like whiskey. And wrist (la muñeca) also means doll. My teacher expalined this by drawing a barbie doll, including ken and then seperately a wrist. Now it took a few giggles and raised eyebrows before I understood that he was getting accross that muñeca has dual meanings and not pervert act of barbie. I then returned the favour of explaining cricket with yet another lovely drawing which basically went misunderstood. I put it down to Futbol being quiet popular here.
Anyway the pictures are at the famous La Boca and a couple of us out in San Telmo.

besos
Sara

Comments

Unknown said…
Is that you in the blue dress, in the second photo?!? Hehe

Popular posts from this blog

Moon Valley and Mendoza

Machu Picchu and Cusco II

There is a very good reason why Machu Picchu was awarded one of the new 7 wonders of the world. Many people I know have been to MP either via the Inca Trail or the train and walk up to the site. It is spectacular. We spent the night before in Auga Calientes a small village at the base of the mountain, and then made our way up early the following morning. You cannot spend less than a full day in MP, there is so much to see and do. This place feels like you are on top on the world, it is so steep, and when you have a narrow path to walk on and a sheer drop it is not for the faint hearted.  We both then spent the day rummaging around the ruins. We made out way from from Cusco to Lima via bus which is also not for the nervous person. It resembled a rollercoaster ride with loads of unmade sections. One of the drivers thought he was a in the formula one, we managed to distract ourselves by taking silly videos of pretending to pan pipe on little pipes Fanny had purchases to the mus

Machu Picchu and Cusco I